Paul O Bartlett wrote:

>     A portion of Mike Farris's response to me
>
> > Okay, I think that a) Yes, we should be out there promoting our IAL's of
> > choice. b) If you're promoting [one]       then don't dump on [another]
>
> > In other words, promote your IAL of choice, [...]
>
>     One further aspect may be, Do I want there to be -some- "solution
> to the language problem" or will I be a petulant child and only accept
> -my- favorite?  If I want -some- "solution," then I must be willing to
> accept a non-favorite if it comes to that.

Well, the phrase "solution to the language problem" implies there is "a
language problem".

You'll have a hard time convincing many people of this (including me).

I rmember reading in a summary of  "Esperanto sen mitoj" that although there
are many specific language problems in the word, this is no general "language
problem", and especially not a 'mondlingvoproblemo'.

I think IAL's can help in solving some language problems (mostly as an
interlanguage when people from different countries do not share a native
language) and are useless for others (mediating language conflicts within
single countries).

I think finding specific cases in which an IAL can do good is a productive
approach. Currently, I think the EU translating and contact language mess is a
prime opportunity. I'm not sure what any IALists are doing about it though.

Amike,
Mikefarris