On Thu, 26 Nov 1998, Michael Farris wrote:

> Paul O Bartlett wrote:
>
> > [...]

> >     One further aspect may be, Do I want there to be -some- "solution
> > to the language problem" or will I be a petulant child and only accept
> > -my- favorite?  If I want -some- "solution," then I must be willing to
> > accept a non-favorite if it comes to that.
>
> Well, the phrase "solution to the language problem" implies there is "a
> language problem".
>
> You'll have a hard time convincing many people of this (including me).

    That's why I put the phrase in quotation marks, to indicate it as a
sort of figurative expression.  There are those, especially, although
not necessarily entirely, within the IAL "movement," who consider that
there -is- "a language problem," and I was addressing myself primarily
to them.

> I rmember reading in a summary of  "Esperanto sen mitoj" that although there
> are many specific language problems in the word, this is no general "language
> problem", and especially not a 'mondlingvoproblemo'.

    I have no quarrel with this.

> [...]

> I think finding specific cases in which an IAL can do good is a productive
> approach.

    Certainly.

>           Currently, I think the EU translating and contact language mess is a
> prime opportunity. I'm not sure what any IALists are doing about it though.

    I don't have much information, either.  Most IALists seem to be
content to posture and to talk to each other.  So far as I know, there
are some Esperantists and Interlinguaists who have (or try to have)
some sort of vaguely-defined "consultative" status (or whatever the
term is) to the European Union, but I don't know what if anything they
are accomplishing.  Some Interlinguaists are translating into Ia some
periodical entitled "Tribune of Europe" or some such thing, but whether
it gets outside the circle of committed Interlinguaists I don't know.

--
Paul                                  <[log in to unmask]>
Paul O. Bartlett, P.O. Box 857, Vienna, VA 22183-0857, USA