    Sorry about that last, quoting the message and adding nothing to
it.  I inadvertantly pressed the wrong set of control keys on my
mailer.

On Thu, 26 Nov 1998, Michael Farris wrote (excerpt):

> Yes, this is the biggest difficulty in "at-sight" languages, it's far too easy
> to slide into just-plain-boring or relexification of one's native language,
> which can be quirky at best and opaque or completely misleading at worst.

    Relexification is certainly a danger, because it leads to inclusion
of idioms.  It is on this point that I have taken issue with the stance
of one participant on this forum who shall here go nameless.  A serious
problem with constructed auxlangs, as I see it, is that many
unsophisticated users of an auxlang may simply not realize that they
are merely relexifying native idioms which are often at best baffling
to others who do not know that same native tongue well.  English's
somewhat notorious phrasal verbs are another serious danger for native
anglophones attempting to use a conIAL.

    Despite the apparent position of another sometime participant, I do
think that relexification is a problem, and I agree that the "at sight"
Euroclones pose a particular risk.  (I have noticed this with
Interlingua, but also with Glosa, which does not necessarily seem to be
entirely "at sight," despite some claims for it.)

--
Paul                                  <[log in to unmask]>
Paul O. Bartlett, P.O. Box 857, Vienna, VA 22183-0857, USA