Donald J. HARLOW wrote:

> Je 02:58 ptm 11/26/98 +0100, Michael FARRIS skribis:
> >
> >I rmember reading in a summary of  "Esperanto sen mitoj" that although=
 there
> >are many specific language problems in the word, this is no general "l=
anguage
> >problem", and especially not a 'mondlingvoproblemo'.
> >
> "'The language problem' is a difficult term to define because it
> encompasses not just one single problem but an entire syndrome."

From the quotes I assume you're translating from "Eo sen mitoj". I wanted=
 to give
that work the credit due, although what I read (a two page summary) was a=
bout a
year ago or so. Maybe I should look at again when I get the time (ha ha h=
a). On the
other hand, whether I was misquoting or not, I'm convinced that there is =
no such
animal as a mondlingvoproblemo, which means that in its present form, Eo =
is a
solution with a problem.

> >I think finding specific cases in which an IAL can do good is a produc=
tive
> >approach. Currently, I think the EU translating and contact language m=
ess is a
> >prime opportunity. I'm not sure what any IALists are doing about it th=
ough.

> I'm not sure what one can do about this problem except point it out as
> often and publicly as possible, along with possible solutions and what
> would result from them in turn (I suspect that most individuals in Euro=
pe
> are unaware of it, and my understanding is that a certain small part of=
 the
> European bureaucracy would rather keep them that way). For what is actu=
ally
> being done (with ref. to the one IAL for which I have information), che=
ck
> with the E=FDropa Klubo, the E=FDropa Esperanto-Unio, or the Asocio por=
 E=FDropa
> Konscio. The ERA's book on "The Costs of European Multilingualism"
> (English, Esperanto and Italian editions) was one attempt to address th=
is.

Well if I had the time and money (everyone's favorite game) I would estab=
lish an
IAL thinktank (or an Eo thinktank) to first set criteria for what sort of
situations Eo (or any IAL) may be able to play a helpful role (other than=
 big
cocktail parties) and then look for situations that meet those criteria. =
(and of
course work out effective ways of presenting Eo as something helpful. HIN=
T: Look
for sexy metaphors to attach to the language and leave the logic behind, =
logical
analysis is a nice thing, but without the 'come hither' image to hook peo=
ple with,
no one's going to pay any attention to the logical analysis.

NB: Green stars and Himnos and Kongresoj aren't very sexy for most people=
. I'm not
sure what a catchy, sexy metaphor image for an IAL would be, but none is =
gonna get
very far without one.

BTW I've read about the translating mess at the EU more than once in Poli=
sh
newspapers and have heard reports of it on TV (not Polish). I think lots =
of folks
in Europe know about it.

Amikel,
MikeFarris