Since that's my (incorrect :*) derivations which are discussed here,
I have to answer something....

Nik Taylor wrote:

> > Assimilation, I think.
>
> Right.  Dissimilation refers to the far rarer phenomenon of sounds
> becoming *less* similar, for example, Latin arbor --> Sp. a'rbol, It.
> alboro (IIRC), in each case, one of the r's became /l/, an example of
> _dissimilation_.

Yes, sorry for this erroneous and confusing derivation... The ideas
were here, but the written stuff was at home...

Another example of dissimilation is fr. "marbre", eng. "marble".
See also fr. "cardamome", eng. "cardamon".

As a matter of fact, I said it was a dissimilation because of the
/dVd/ pattern: one of the two /d/ becomes /b/, but it wouldn't have
happened if they were not so close (and indeed, the sound change
doesn't occur in 'nemedied'). The /m/ does not play any role here.

The intended derivation, as it should have been described, was:

  *nemedad > *nemebad (dissmilation b/d)
           > *nembad (accent pitch on the first syllable)
           > nemvad (spirantization of /b/ after /m/)

Now I am thinking about it again, and a switch from /d/ to
/b/ is not very common for a dissimilation. As Nik noted, the
sounds become _less_ similar. However they usually remain in the
same category (e.g. m <-> n, or t <-> d) and a dissimilation form
a dental to a labial is probably not realistic.

> > >  Step 3:  *nembad > *nemvad (aspiration of /b/ after a nasal)
> >
> > Spirantization?
>
> Yes.  Also called frictivization (sp?).  Aspiration means to make
> aspirated, e.g., /b/ --> /b_h/

You appear to be right. Anyway this is not very relevant here,
since /b_h/ (IPA 'Beta' character) doesn't exist in "True Almaqerin"
(but if you have a look at the grammar, /v/ also occurs as the
lenition of /b/ after the article, and to tell the truth I once
played with the idea  that it could have been pronounced /b_h/...).

Thanks for pointing these errors. I had no particular knowledge
of phonetics and phonology before I joined the CONLANG list,
and I learnt most of these things here and looking at other
conlangers' pages. But I still have many to learn...

Didier.
-- -