Nik Taylor wrote:

> Eric Christopherson wrote:
> > To me it seems that all words in English that supposedly start with
> > vowels really start with [?], and I'm a native speaker. I can't even
> > pronounce a vowel at the beginning of a word with a stop.
>
> Which dialect do you speak?  I sometimes have a glottal stop with words
> beginning with vowels after words ending in vowels, as in "the apple"
> (/D@ ?&pl=/ but sometimes /D@ &pl=/), but never if it follows a word
> ending in a consonants, as in "an apple" (/@n &pl=/).
>
> --
> "We're not obsessed, we're focused!" - X-Philes' motto
> http://members.tripod.com/~Nik_Taylor/X-Files
> ICQ: 18656696
> AOL: NikTailor

Per my accoustic phonetics class at U of Chicago, all vowel initial
words in English are actually glottal stop initial.  And so they seem
to be in my Northern Indiana dialect.  Sure would like to see a lot
more data before I would accept that as an English universal (as in
Nik's example).
--
Brad Coon
http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/everquest/624