Laurie Gerholz wrote:
> I'll admit it. I probably wouldn't use "drink" for the antifreeze. But I
> still would for the hemlock tea. Maybe I do have a distinction on the
> nature of the liquid too. How about this -- hemlock tea may be poison,
> but it has been brewed up for the *purpose* of having someone ingest it.
> But antifreeze has been concocted for a purpose completely separate from
> ingestion by living creatures.

Hmmm ... perhaps it is the purpose that matters.

> But Carlos tossed in another one that I'd forgotten about: blood! After
> all my reading of vampire literature, it does sound semantically correct
> to "drink" blood.

That is an odd usage, to be sure.  Why do vampires "drink" blood?
Perhaps it's because, for a vampire, blood is a substance which is
suitable for drinking, it's purpose is to be drunk, and sustain vampiric
life?

--
"Cats are rather delicate creatures and they are subject to a good many
ailments, but I never heard of one who suffered from insomnia." --