On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Paul O Bartlett wrote:

> those pages.  Not being able to view graphics on www pages myself, I
> am unsure which is involved in the exchanges between Bob Petry and
> others.  So if graphics are involved, I must modify my earlier post.
> However, if only straight text is involved, the the matter of fonts
> is immaterial to the author of pages.

Lamentably, there is a trend among web designers to inflict
their own display fonts upon us innocent (?) readers.
Look for tags like "<font ...>" in certain web pages.
Example from infoseek.com: <font face="arial" size=-1>

I have written a simple proxy server in Perl to intercept
and destroy such tags. My least favorite is "<font=-1>"
which results in microscopic unreadable text in the
Linux version of Netscape, or it did until squelched.

I also remove advertisement gifs and "cookies" from
sites such as doubleclick.com ... The net/web is
being polluted by over-commercialization and spam.
And by over-controlling excessively-graphic web pages.