>At 21:39 12/12/98 -0500, Paul Bartlett wrote:
>>    Once again I post my harangue about the mechanics of posting:
>>
>>1)  Please do not quote copiously  [ ....  ] Quote only as much as you
>>    need to make your contribution intelligible.  [  .......  ]
>>
>*   This is the sort of thing Paul is talking about.
>    I also found that he was happy with the widths of my Eudora postings
when I drew in the RHS Margin to be under the "?" in the toolbar.

>>2)  If you are using a Windows or Macintosh product, please watch the
>>    length of your lines.  Place no more than 80 characters (70-72 is
>>    better to allow for quoting)   [  ......  ]
>*    As you can see, I "personalise" my 'brief' comments with an Asterisk
in the margin, followed by three spaces for a Paragraph Indent.
>     Originally, I used the "Tab" key for indenting, but found the results
varied in other people's systems.
>     Also, I found that leaving spaces is dodgey: all I can be sure of is
two spaces .. any more, and they are liable to be closed up.
>     When attempting formatting on the Net, I fill the "white space" with
dots, EG
>HERE .............. THERE
>1 ................. a
>2 ................. b, etc.
>
>   Paul is right about 72 character width being better than 80.  When you
use a
>maximum width for postings, anyone wishing to quote you is liable to have
your
>message wrap-around at the ends - after the insertion of suitable < <<
>markers.
>
>Saluta,
> Robin Gaskell
ROBIN GASKELL:  [log in to unmask]   Webpage: www.zeta.org.au/~rgaskell
GLOSALIST MAILING LIST:  Majordomo reads your e-mail address automatically
      To: [log in to unmask]
          subscribe glosalist