Don Harlow rote (responding to Kjell R.):

> >The orthography of Interlingua does not at all affect the spoken language.
>
> This is a truism: spoken language is _never_ affected by the orthography.

I'm not sure this is always true.  Sweet comments in his "Principles of
Spelling Reform":

http://yi.com/home/ChandlerJames/srhist.html

that in some cases the absurd English orthography had actually corrupted
the spoken language.  Jespersen in at least one, I think possibly two of
his works says that abbreviations like "math(s)", "gym", "postgrad" etc.
probably originated in writing.  The Br Eng pronunciation of "h" in "herb"
is according to Wells due to the written "h".  Conversely I wonder whether
some of the Am Eng pronunciations which differ from Br Eng (like "vase")
are due to corruption by the written language.  (Btw, could an Am Eng
speaker here tell me: do you really pronounce a [g] in "suggest"?)

James Chandler.