James Chandler wrote:
[cut]

>> I have seen a book with a title that

> > suggests there are reading problems for speakers of Spanish who use
> > the phonetic orthography.
>
> With all due respect, a book title is not much to go on for the purposes
> of this discussion.

I also read somewhere (gets worse, doesn't it) that the less phonetically a
language is spelt, the quicker it is read, since less subvocalising goes on.
However, this doesn't seem to make up for the difficulty in writing this produces
- otherwise we should all go for ideograms.

> > English is blessed in being able to
> > differentiate prefixes like phyllo-, phylo- and philo- in words from Greek.
>
> English is cursed with a monstrous orthography which is the bane of every
> learner and user of the language.  ph and rh are a part of that
> monstrosity, and personally I would be happy to see them go as part of a
> thorogoing reform based on pronunciation.

As an English teacher, I can only applaud.  When I ask my Turkish students what
they think of English as a second language, the general response is:

Grammar - easy (at least compared to French and German)
Vocabulary - too much of it
Spelling - a nightmare.

Robin Turner