On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Jay Bowks wrote:

> However, "Ma" is more likely to be an international
> word for "mom" than for "but". Also, if Jespersen
> complains about "sed" then what about "ed" in Ido?

You convinced me. I like "sed" and "et".

> James, you might object to Stans words that IALA's
> research has no equal anywhere in Interlinguist history...
> It does not.

Today it has been surpassed. Both the EuroWordNet project
and the Generalized Upper Model go far beyond the little
dictionary look-up exercise of IALA.

Since languages change over time, and "the" international
vocabulary changes even more rapidly, maybe there should
be a method defined to continually re-extract that
vocabulary from public sources. At any rate, IALA's
effort was certainly not the last word.

If the ideal IAL is to be an L2, it should be easy
for each generation to acquire afresh, as adults.
Spelling and grammar should be minimal and regular,
I would think. For people in a hurry ...