Je 01:30 ptm 1/6/99 -0800, mi mem skribis:

>N.B.: we aren't alone out there. Though the U.S. media did give
>_very_ short shrift to last summer's Japanese launch of a Canadian Mars
>probe...

This has nothing to do (directly) with IALs, but perhaps some here will be
interested...

About four years ago I subscribed to a mailing list for students of
Japanese (for my wife, who was studying Japanese so that she could
understand the late-night NHK news broadcasts -- she refuses to watch the
usual English-language ones, considering them remarkably
over-commercialized and woefully underinformed, an opinion I share).

One posting on the list referred to the situation of NASA vis a vis the
Japanese space agency. Seems that there's an agreement between the two
organizations that they will share data and information. At some point
along the line, NASA suddenly realized that the flow was all in one
direction, because all the Japanese documentation was ... in JAPANESE,
which nobody at NASA seemed to be able to read. So NASA complained to the
JSA about their vile habit of keeping records in Japanese rather than English.

JSA's reply, I gather, was something along the lines of: "Well, that would
appear to be your problem, not ours."

The (American) poster's belief, by the way, was that this was deliberately
done by the Japanese as a means of keeping the American side from having
access to their data.

-- Don HARLOW
http://www.webcom.com/~donh/