Eric Christopherson wrote:

> Here's a chart of vowel changes in Vulgar Latin (IIRC):

Warning: this is the table for the *Western* Romance languages
only; it does not apply to Romanian or Sardinian (or Brithenig),
which have different rules.  (In Romanian, short and long o
became o, short and long u became u; in Sardinian, long/short
just collapsed everywhere and c/g did not palatalize, so
Sardinian sounds very "archaic".)

> Y seemed to work the same as I, but I don't know if there was a
> difference between short and long Y as there was between short and
> long I.

Y was used in Greek words only, and represented /y/ in the classical
language, but in popular speech was pronounced /i/ and obeyed the
same sound changes.

--
John Cowan      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              [log in to unmask]