Steg Belsky wrote:

> I don't know that much about Roman history...the Empire began around the
> time of Julius Caesar?

It's usually considered to have begun when his successor Octavianus
(later called Augustus) came to power in 9 B.C.E.

> How is Iudaea pronounced? /judaea/ ? /judaEa/ ?  Are any of the vowels
> long?  Is the normal Latin suffix for language/nationality/etc.  _-a_?

/judaja/ later /judEa/, and I think they're all short, but it's possible
the /u/ is long /u:/.

A few special clusters: "ng" is [Ng], "nc" is [Nk], "bs" is [ps].

--
John Cowan      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              [log in to unmask]