John Cowan wrote:

> vardi wrote:
>
> > In England I once went to a lecture by a Palestinian Arab citizen of
> > Israel (his definition), who presented what was, to put it mildly, a
> > critical view of Israel.
>
> What language was the lecture given in?

English. It was just that in the context of his very strong attack on
the whole basis of Israel and Zionism (perfectly legitimate, of course),
I did find it somewhat incongruous that he kept using this Hebrew word.

> BTW, the current Ethnologue (http://www.sil.org/ethnologue)
> lists the following 27 Jewish languages (with country of use;
> some are extinct):
>
>     ARABIC, JUDEO-IRAQI: Israel
>     ARABIC, JUDEO-MOROCCAN: Israel
>     ARABIC, JUDEO-TRIPOLITANIAN: Israel
>     ARABIC, JUDEO-TUNISIAN: Tunisia
>     ARABIC, JUDEO-YEMENI: Israel
>     BUKHARIC: Israel
>     DZHIDI: Iran
>     HEBREW: Israel
>     HEBREW, ANCIENT: Israel
>     HULAULA: Israel
>     ISRAELI SIGN LANGUAGE: Israel
>     JUDEO-BERBER: Israel
>     JUDEO-CRIMEAN TATAR: Uzbekistan
>     JUDEO-GEORGIAN: Israel
>     JUDEO-ITALIAN: Italy
>     JUDEO-TAT: Israel
>     KARAIM: Lithuania
>     KNAANIC: Czech Republic
>     LADINO: Israel
>     LISHANA-DENI: Israel
>     LISHANAN: Israel
>     LISHANID NOSHAN: Israel
>     SHUADIT: France
>     YEVANIC: Israel
>     YIDDISH: Israel
>     YIDDISH SIGN LANGUAGE: Israel
>     ZARPHATIC: France
>
> --

Yeah, I remember looking up Israel on Ethnologue and enjoying that list.
It's all a bit arbitary, of course. I mean "Judeo-Iraqi" covers several
dialects (Baghdad, Basra...) that as far as I understand from some
friends here are quite distinct.

        Shaul