"Sheets, Jeff" wrote:

> I'm attempting to come up with a family tree of Languages for my Fictio=
nal
> world, and it occurs to me that I'm not nearly as sure about the genera=
> "convention" of naming languages.

In my Hangkerim world, Hangkerim is the name of the culture.  It is origi=
nated
from the Hangke river (OTL Magdalena river) whose ethimology is unknown. =
 The
language is known as Hangkerimce and the people as Hangkerimre where both=
 CE~
and RE~ are suffixes meaning language and person.  I prefer to use "H. la=
nguage"
and "H. people" or "Hangkerimian" when posting in English.

The dialect/language of some isolated Christian groups is known as Kizida=
noce
where Kizidano is derived from Spanish "cristiano".  The language of the
descendents of the European coloners are "criollo" from the name the desc=
endants
of the Spaniards called themselves, and "american" from the name the desc=
endants
of Englishmen called themselves (actually I have not decided if they woul=
d have
named themselves after Amerigo Vespuci... the history run something diffe=
rent
since 1492 A.D.)  Both Criollos and Americans losted contact from the met=
ropolis
and developed into different languages.  Unfortunatly those languages wil=
probably become extinct in less than 50 years because new generations are=
 not
learning the languages of their parents.

--
                                      o_o
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3Dw=3D=3D=3Dw=3D=3D=3D=3D#######