Je 12:51 atm 2/28/99 -0300, Ensjo skribis:=20

> Robin Turner scribeva:=20
>>
>> bagpuss wrote:
>
> [...deletiones per Ensjo...]=20
>>
>> > Compare:=20
>> >=20
>> > Okc. constructer construction constructor constructiv=20
>> > Esp. konstrui konstruado konstruanto konstrukcio=20
>> >=20
>>
>> [other examples cut]=20
>>
>> Where Eo and some other languages win out is that by "mutilating" the=20
>> vocabulary you can have consistent rules for word-formation, which I=20
>> think is essential if you want to cut down the vocabulary learning load.
>
> Un micre detalio, totevia [though]: In Esperanto, konstrukci- NON es=
 derivate
> de konstru-. Illos es radices [roots] distincte. Il non ha [there's not]=
 un
> suffixo -kci-.=20

There is also no word "konstrukcio" in Esperanto -- it can't be found in the
"Plena Ilustrita Vortaro". There are, however, other such pairings -- we've
discussed "redakti" vs. "redakcio" here from time to time -- but they most
often (not always) appear when the semantics of the two separate roots have
separated into two categories. For instance, the roots "instru'" and
"instrukci'" both exist, but the first refers to instruction-as-teaching=
 while
the second refers to instruction-as-command. In such cases, the one is not
derived from the other within the language, as you say; the relationship is
purely etymological. Piron (in "Esperanto: =C6u E=FDropa a=FD Azia lingvo?")=
 quotes
several such apparently parallel roots, of which perhaps the most=
 interesting
is "fragmento, fragila, frakasi, frakcio, frakturo", all of which roots are
etymologically related to the Latin for "to break", if I remember correctly
("frakasi" means "to shatter") and all of which can lead to whole families=
 of
etymologically related but otherwise unrelated groups of words in Esperanto.

> Konstrukcio non deberea esser [shouldn't be] konstruaj^o?=20

Or "konstruado". At least in English, "construction" has several quite
different meanings, e.g.:

His business is construction =3D Lia afero estas la konstruado
The construction going up at the corner =3D La konstruaj^o levig^anta c^e la
stratangulo
You can put a quite different construction on what he says =3D Oni povas=
 kompreni
tute alian sencon de tio, kion li diras

=C6i tiu estas respondo al letero de anta=FD longa tempo. Mi pardonpetas pro=
 la
prokrasto, sed dum la lasta monato mi ne respondis retpo=FEta=BCojn pro da=
=FDra
nesaneco.

This is an answer to a letter mailed to me some time back. I apologize for
the delay, but for the last month I have not been answering my e-mail
because I've been laid semi-low by something that's been "going around".

-- Don HARLOW
http://www.webcom.com/~donh/