What JCAHO and various groups have consistently looked for in Deep
Sedation procedures is that there is someone at the bedside with
appropriate training (RN OK PALS or APLS helps)whose job it is to monitor
the patient, and therefore who is not involved in the procedure
It adds somewhat to the workload if the sedating MD is also doing a
fracture reduction and needs the nurse to hold (use a tech). If we are for
another MD we provide that role and the nurse can help. Actual practice is
that the monitoring nurse does help but it is not written hat way
We have done over 1000 propofol sedation with equal safety. Our protocol
has passed each time ( they are coming in may so we will see)
There are other elements that they look at If you just change the
wording from 1 MD 1 Nurse to at least to having a dedicated monitor then
you should be OK
 Ted Walkley
Mary Bridge Children's Hospital

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: