We are considering adding (mild) DKA  (in known IDDM patients) to our list
of potential diagnoses admittable to our pediatri observation (23 hour) unit
as we have found that many of these patients are discharged from hospital
presently within this time period.  Does anyone else have experiences with
this diagnosis in this setting and if so, are what are your guidelines for
admission. For general interest, we will hopefully be developing such
guidelines if none are available and would be happy to do so in conjunction
with others.

Thank you in advance.

Gordon J Green MD FRCPC
Pediatric Emergency Physician
Director, Medical Education and Clinical Research
Department of Emergency Medicine
West Virginia University, Charleston Division

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: