From: blake bulloch <[log in to unmask]>
To: Multiple recipients of list PED-EM-L <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: to glue or not to glue
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 14:20:12 -0600

Mick asked about a high incidence of wound infections with Dermabond. We
have not seen many
infections at our institution in Canada where it has been used for about
4 years. A study you may
want to pull looked at the "Comparison of effects of suture and
cyanoacrylate tissue adhesive on
bacterial counts in contaminated lacerations" (Antimicrobial agents and
chemotherapy, 1995; 2:
559-560). This was a small study done on guinea pigs that showed tissue
adhesive to be
bacteriostatic against S. aureus.
Other than this study I have not seen any literature on the incidence of
wound infections
comparing suture to adhesive.

Blake Bulloch
Winnipeg, MB