                Brown University Women Writers Project Textbase
                               now available online

                            http://www.wwp.brown.edu/

The Brown University Women Writers Project is happy to announce the
upcoming publication of our online textbase, which is scheduled for
August 1, 1999. Until that time, the textbase will be freely available
online in a beta-test version, with steadily growing size and
functionality. Please note that at present every aspect of the online
system is under construction, and may change considerably from week to
week (not always for
the better!).

We welcome feedback and testing. For information on our beta-testing
program, please see the posting accompanying this one, or visit our web
site. Information about licensing will also be available at our web site
very soon.

The textbase is a collection of pre-Victorian women's writing in
English.  The initial publication will include over 200 texts from the
period 1450-1830, with 50-100 more being added in the first year. The
texts cover a huge range of genres and topics, and represent an
unparalleled resource for the study of women's writing and history, and
of English literature
generally.

Important features of the system include the following:

--The texts are richly encoded in SGML, using the full TEI Guidelines.
The transcription preserves the text of the original document in full,
including all front and back matter, with original pagination,
typography, spelling, and rendition. Title pages, signatures,
catchwords, and other bibliographic details are transcribed in full.

--The textbase will be published over the web using INSO's DynaWeb
software,  giving the user full access to the SGML tagging for searching
and navigation.

--Varied style sheets will allow the user to view the text with its
original typography and errors intact, or in a corrected and regularized
form.

--Users may search the entire textbase or individual texts for words and
phrases, either on their own or within specified contexts, using the
SGML markup. Users may also search for sets of texts which meet certain
criteria such as date, genre, place of publication, and so forth.

--The primary source material will be accompanied by topic essays and
biographical information for each author.

For further information about the Women Writers Project and our plans for
publication, please visit our new web site at:

http://www.wwp.brown.edu

Julia Flanders
Textbase Editor and Project Manager
Brown University Women Writers Project