- for list-members' interest -

---------- Forwarded message ----------
>Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 10:41:44 -0500
>From: Nils Lohner <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Debian Touts Integrated SGML Environment
Debian Project
http://www.debian.org/
Debian Touts Integrated SGML Environment
March 30, 1999
>> News

Debian's 2.1 distribution, now in release, features integrated SGML,
XML, and DSSSL infrastructure and packages.  Debian's innovative SGML
subsystem positions Debian as a premier platform for SGML and XML
developers, offering a complete working toolset for documenters and
markup programmers with no manual setup required.

Features:

 * James Clark's jade 1.2.1 and SP suite version 1.3.3,
   enabling validation and formatting of SGML or XML
   <URL:http://www.jclark.com/jade/>.

 * SGMLOpen shared system catalog integration (no need to manually
   register SGML Public Identifiers or set with environment
   variables).

 * docbook (v3.0) and docbook-stylesheets (v1.13) available, providing
   an industry-standard markup convention
   <URL:http://www.ora.com/davenport/>

 * psgml, which in conjunction with Emacs19, Emacs20, XEmacs19, or
   XEmacs20, provides a profession SGML editing environment.
   <URL:http://www.lysator.liu.se/projects/about_psgml.html>

 * jadetex, combined with jade, facilitates the conversion of SGML to
   PostScript or PDF, for high quality printed output.

 * a host of other SGML, XML, and DSSSL software packages are
   available, including but not limited to sgml-tools, expat,
   sdc, perlsgml, sgmlspm, and dsc.

We believe that Debian's open model of participation and committment
to system quality (as reflected in the Debian Policy
<URL:http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/>) puts Debian
head-and-shoulders above other commercial or free systems.  SGML
integration efforts continue apace in the unstable distribution,
including DocBook 3.1, DocBk XML, TEI, and more DTDs.

For more information on Debian see <URL:http://www.debian.org/>.
For installation on how to obtain and install the stable release,
see <URL:http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/>.

>> About Debian

The Debian project is an organization of many users who volunteer
their time and effort.  Its tasks include maintaining and updating Debian
GNU/Linux which is a free distribution of the GNU/Linux operating system,
and the development of the Debian GNU/Hurd operating system.

>> Contact Information

For further information, please send email to the Debian Press Contact
<[log in to unmask]> or visit the Debian homepage at <http://www.debian.org/>

--
Martin Wheeler   -    StarTEXT, Glastonbury, Somerset, England - BA6 9PH
[log in to unmask]                       http://www.startext.co.uk/