At 10:00 30/03/99 CST, Baden Hughes wrote:
>> In ethnographic fieldwork on civil society, ethnicity, political
>> violence, social development: can any one say what software exists to
>> handle the following (ideally integrated but perhaps as components):
>>
>> 1. Recording of sound interviews straight onto disk (probably comes
>>    with most machines nowadays, but needs to be on a laptop,
>>    preferably a Mac -- actually all of this should ideally be for
>>    Macs).
>>
>> 2. Replay and mark the start-points of interesting sections,
>>    preferably marking into the sound file itself (if some sound file
>>    format supports this kind of mark-placement), and attaching a
>>    keyword to each marked point.
>>
>> 3. Build an index of keywords from those points to let you jump back
>>    to those places.
>>
>> 4. An editor to handle the transcription by letting you jump to the
>>    next mark (by keyword or in sequence), and pause/play the recording
>>    while you type it up.
>>
>> Clearly a lot of this exists as stand-alone systems, but I wondered
>> how much it has been integrated (HyTime?)
>
>I believe the SMIL specification and associated implementations will
>address the last 3 requirements. Check the W3C site for SMIL, there are
>a bunch of developers in the Netherlands working with implementations of
>SMIL indexing (sorry no URL).

For more information on SMIL, see:

http://www.w3.org/AudioVideo/

However, I think only players (such as GRiNS from CWI in The Netherlands
(http://www.cwi.nl) ) are available for free, but editors remain commercial
(as GRiNS editor) or just plain XML editor as far as I know.

Gwendal Auffret
--
Gwendal Auffret
INA - Direction de la Recherche