At 10:16 pm -0800 8/3/99, Sally Caves wrote:
>Dear Ray,
>
>Forget Orin...
>More fruitful than finding loopholes in a thesis you haven't
>read <G> would be to help me find a term for a
>construction that I am tentatively calling the
>"aptitive gerundial."  You very generously helped me decide
>on terms for the passive and progressive gerundial, and I
>thank you for that effort eight months ago!  Your learning is
>very helpful on this list.  I came up with the potentive, and
>as you may recall (but I don't expect you to),

Ah, but I do remember  :)

>these are
>adjectival constructions in Teonaht that use the gerund:
>
>POTENTIVE:  to kwecyrem,  "for cooking," "cookable.."
>    commanco to kwecyrem, "a cookable feast."
>PASSIVE:    tsob kwecyrem, "under cooking,"
>    "cooked/being cooked."
>     commanco tsobkwecyrem, "a feast being cooked."
>PROGRESSIVE:  bom kwecyrem, "with cooking," "cooking."
>    Bomkwecyrem al nantry, "my mother (is) cooking.
>    Or:  Li kwecyvar bomkwecyrem, "the cooking cook."
>APTITIVE: (?)    om kwecyrem,  "of cooking," "cookative,"
>    concocting, given to cooking, culinary, always in  the kitchen."
>    Li gwenda om kwecyrem, "the domestic girl."
>
>It has a habitual sense to it, but "habituative" didn't seem quite right.
>The term needs to express the sense given in our -ive endings:
>tendency towards, aptitude towards, given to doing something.
>No one has said that the Aptitive is inapt, nobody has said that it's apt.
>Have I just coined a new word?

AFAIK yes, you have coined a new word.  I've even checked to see if
'aptiuus' might have existed in Latin: it's not attested  :)
Presumably it would be a derivatived from 'apere' (to join).

>Or is there one out there that is used
>to describe a tendency towards something?  The inclinative?

AFAIK 'inclinative' is not attested in English, tho 'inclinatory' is.  But
I find that in Latin the adjective 'inclinatiuus' was a grammatical term
meaning "enclitic", which is not what we want here.

Two possible words come to mind:
PROCLIVITATIVE <-- Latin 'procliuitas' (gen: procliuitatis) = "a tendency
toward(s)", a disposition, proneness, propensity".  On the downside, the
word is rather long.

PROPENSIVE <-- Latin Latin adj. 'propensus' = "with an inclination to,
disposed toward(s), prone to".

I think I prefer the latter.

>One more request:  Since you live near the place,

Well, within 150 miles.  Yes, yes, I know that in the US that's considered
almost living next door  :)

>maybe you could
>answer a question I posed to your Brethenig/Kernu/ConCeltic list
>that was met with stone-cold silence:  Where can I get a common
>sticker--Rwyn Caru Cymru--with a "heart" where the "caru" is,
>for my new car?  The old sticker, weathering rain and snow and
>salt dust for twelve years, went the way of the old car.

I don't know - but I still have connexion with Wales & visit occasionally.
I'll make enquiries.

>I would even jump for a Welsh dragon.

Who wouldn't?

Ray.