Steg Belsky wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Mar 1999 22:16:40 -0800 Sally Caves <[log in to unmask]>
> writes:
> >Sally Caves
> >http://www.frontiernet.net/~scaves/verbs.html#other
> >
> >(I'm aware that the Verbs page has a lot of bloopers in it
> >that need correcting!)(And I haven't even managed to
> >put up the separate chapter on the Teonaht copula, yet!)
>
> What exactly is a copula?  I thought that i understood it, and then i
> thought i did again, but now i'm confused....
> I used to think that it was the verb "is" as in "the boy is red"..... but
> then it looked like it means an uninflected verb or something....and
> what's "zero-copula" then?  I seem to remember that term somewhere....

Copula/copulative means  link, so it's what some call the "linking verb"which
is all forms of "to be," so yes "the boy is red."  "The man is a doctor."
"Judy is my sister."  The category has been extended to some of our other
words like "seem" or "feel":  "The explanation seems sound," "I feel good."
"He seems a fine chap."

Zero copula is when the linking verb is suppressed, as in Russian and a host
of other languages:  Beer good (the beer is good), good the beer, a doctor
John,
red the boy.  Teonaht is zero copula in the present tense and prefers these
juxtapositions to mustering up a conjugated form of _parem_.   It provides
the
verb in the past tense,   Myeeb li beto, "red the boy"; but Myeeb li beto
nel,
"red the boy was."  It has taken to getting away even with this and saying:
Li beto, myeeb elo.  "The boy, red PAST-he.

The challenge with the copula page will be putting all the various forms into

tables.  My favorite thing.

Sally
http://www.frontiernet.net/~scaves/recipes.html