Nik Taylor wrote:
snip a lot of stuff I generally agree with;
> > alveolar.
>
> I assume you mean dental for /d/?  *Inter*dental refers to sounds like
> /D/ (as in bathe), interdental stops are unknown in the world's
> langauge.

This is one of those time I wish I still had the 400 volumes of lg and
ling materials I sold.  Interdental stops are perfectly feasible, easy
to pronounce, and I added them to Nova after finding them in another
language, the name of which, alas, has faded from my memory.  I may have
picked them up in the during my long hours sitting in phonology lab at U
of Chicago but I suspect it was from an Australian lg.  Unfortunately
all of my surviving Australian materials are on microfiche and I no
longer have a mf reader.
--
Brad Coon
listowner battleship-l

Civilize the mind and make savage the body. (Chinese proverb)