Sally Caves wrote:

> Irina Rempt wrote:
>
> > A motto occurred to me that I read on a seventeenth-century house in
> > Haarlem (my native town) and that I've more or less adopted as my
> > own:
> >
> >    Beginnen can ick, volherden wil ick, volbringhen sal ick
> >
> > In English:
> >
> >    I can begin, I want to persevere, I will succeed.
>
> Well I would try my Teonaht at this, Irina, but it's a proverbthat
> highlights the Dutch modal... it's perfect for Germanic
> languages like English that have auxiliaries with distinct meanings
> for "can," "want to" and "will"--which form the parallelism and the
> sense of empowerment that this proverb turns on. Let's see:
> Teonaht has two modals that match this:
>
> ry tal immep, ry dihs lommad,   "I can begin,  I want to "stay the
> course,"
>
> but then the future tense changes the syntactical pattern that all thre=
> elements
> in the Dutch version share:   esry tazzanda--"I will succeed."

As Irina worte:
<<<
In Valdyan:
   Vesta veran, terna puran, farenin.

the parallel is broken.

I was thinking in how I would sign it in LSC, (after all Chleweyish is
loosly based in LSC grammar) and the parallel of the first two sentences
where evident:

    I begin can continue want

but I have problems with the third: I supose there is a sign for succeed =
but
I don't know if there is a sign expressing future as a modal.  Then I cou=
ld
think in two alternative ways:

    I begin can continue want future succeed
    I begin can continue want then.what? succeed

Then I took my creative freedom in Chleweyish to make a predictive modal,=

which fits perfect in the morphology, mainly when Chleweyish has no tense=
s.

I shall have a little more problems with Hangkerimce.

> In order to bring it into conformity with the Dutch, I would have to ha=
ve
> an auxiliary that says "I plan to" because the future in Teonaht is not=
 so
> much a statement of intention that I think still underscores the use of=

> will in English (and maybe even _sal_ in Dutch).  I don't know.
>
> Anyhoo, what makes this proverb distinctive in Dutch is that it has a
> parallelism in its use of the modal that expresses empowerment of the
> speaker, and that I can't reproduce in Teonaht.

If I think in my natlangs: here is in Spanish:

literal:
    Puedo empezar, quiero perseverar y vencer=E9.

free:
    Empezar=E9, perseverar=E9 y vencer=E9.
    Empezar podr=E9, continuar querr=E9, =E9xito tendr=E9

Swedish will look as a relex of Dutch:

    B=F6rja kan jag, framh=E4rda vill jag, lyckas ska jag

--
                                      o_o
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3Dw=3D=3D=3Dw=3D=3D=3D=3D#######