On Sat, 3 Apr 1999, Sally Caves wrote:

> >    Beginnen can ick, volherden wil ick, volbringhen sal ick

> Well I would try my Teonaht at this, Irina, but it's a proverbthat
> highlights the Dutch modal...

> Teonaht has two modals that match this:
>
> ry tal immep, ry dihs lommad,   "I can begin,  I want to "stay the
> course,"
>
> but then the future tense changes the syntactical pattern that all three
> elements
> in the Dutch version share:   esry tazzanda--"I will succeed."

You'll have noticed that the same thing happens in Valdyan, but it
still has a catchy rhythm - I think I'll start using it for my .sig
when I get tired of the current one.

> an auxiliary that says "I plan to" because the future in Teonaht is not
> so
> much a statement of intention that I think still underscores the use of
> will in English (and maybe even _sal_ in Dutch).  I don't know.

That's why I used the perfective future for the Valdyan version: to
take away any indeterminacy. It's not so much intention (that *is* in
"volherden"), but the *conviction* that it will one day be finished.

   Irina

            Varsinen an laynynay, saraz no arlet rastinay.
                     [log in to unmask] (myself)
     http://www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt/irina/frontpage.html (English)
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt/irina/backpage.html (Nederlands)