On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Irina Rempt wrote:

> Here's a translation exercise of my own: the first paragraph of the
> story about Grandpa and the Dragon (to be found in whole on my web
> page in Valdyan and English), that I originally wrote in Valdyan (no
> translation from the Dutch).
>

>       When my great-great-grandfather was a young man, he travelled
>       out into the world. First he went west; there was only sand
>       there. Then he went north; there was only snow there. Then he
>       went east; there the mountains were too high and
>       great-great-grandfather couldn't climb them. At last he decided
>       to travel south, on foot, on horseback, by cart and by boat. In
>       the south he saw the largest city in all the world.

        This was fun, mostly because it wasn't until I tried to translate
this that I realized that Doraya didn't have words for the cardinal
directions.  Heh.  Anyway, here it is in Doraya:

        Baborae i'ririkonde li'oka le ditai kai kos taim.  Ke bante tai
        far aindya'vi.  Tyefar tynde tona lilo.  Ese' tai far aindur.
        Tyefar ilin tona lilo.  Ese' tai far aindos.  Inai inlista aera ke
        lilo me peta sikae dos iririkonde saea.  Ke terin tai ku-gina de
        tai borae aindo'lya ar afunadel afmeko afosto afesel.  Ke
        aindo'lya tai erin lirana kes da i'tarani ae li'oka rani sanda
        inai sao.

Interlinear fun:

Baborae         i'ririkonde    li'oka    le   ditai   kai kos taim.
begin-to-travel my-past-father the-world when past-he was man young.

Ke bante     tai far aindya'vi.  Tyefar        tynde tona  lilo.
At beginning he  go  west.       is-located-at sand  alone this-place.

Ese' tai far aindur.  Tyefar        ilin tona  lilo.
Then he  go  north.   is-located-at snow alone this-place.

Ese' tai far aindos.  Inai inlista         aera ke lilo
Then he  go  east.    is   pl-the-mountain high at this-place

me      peta       sikae dos   i'ririkonde    saea.
so-that not-at-all can   climb my-past-father them.

Ke terin tai ku-gina     de   tai borae  aindo'lya ar afunanedel
At last  he  make-choice that he  travel south     by and-his-feet

afmeko    afosto   afesel.    Ke aindo'lya tai erin
and-horse and-cart and-boat.  At south     he  see

lirana   kes da i'tarani ae li'oka    rani sanda inai sao.
the-city REL to all-city of the-world big  well  was  RESUMP-NOM.

Later,
Adam
http://www.inquo.net/~myth