FFlores <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Is there any natlang or conlang where an allophone
> of a certain phoneme is also an allophone (maybe the
> only one) of *another* phoneme? Do you think that's
> likely or probable?
> =

> In this particular case, I have a daughter of Drasel=E9q,
> Curco, where /v/ has the allophones [v] and [w] (the
> latter when syllable-final), and there's also /w/ as
> a different phoneme.

Sure.  In American English, most vowels have schwa as an allophone in uns=
tressed environments.  And in French, most consonants have zero as an all=
ophone in word-final position except before a word with an initial vowel.=

Or am I blurring the boundaries between allophony and phonological rules =
here?

Ed

Get free e-mail and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com/?N=3D=
1