I've toyed with he idea of an IE language.  My knowledge
of IE reconstruction is pretty sparse though.  I've had a
terrible time trying to find resources.  Anyway, I think
that an extrapolation of alternative IE languages
would be pretty cool.  Go for it!  I'd love to hear about
what you come up with!

I'm especially interested in a conlang that is a rendering
of PIE, or a close relative thereof!  I'll try to dig out
some old resources that I found and forward them to you
(but I'm sure the Lehman book is much better)