Hey, I'd love to see anything you can come up with.

A modern reconstruction of PIE would be a pretty weird language.  Apparen=
tly
it was an "active" language at an early stage.  This is a category I had =
not
heard of, a third option besides "accusative" and "ergative".

"Active" languages don't really have transitive sentences.  They have
"animate" and "inanimate" nouns, and "active" and "stative" verbs, and th=
noun has to match the verb.  I haven't read much about this, it's all new=
me; sounds a bit like trigger languages.  If anyone has resources on this=

phenomenon I'd love to hear about it.

Ed

Mathew Willoughby <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I've toyed with he idea of an IE language.  My knowledge
> of IE reconstruction is pretty sparse though.  I've had a
> terrible time trying to find resources.  Anyway, I think
> that an extrapolation of alternative IE languages
> would be pretty cool.  Go for it!  I'd love to hear about
> what you come up with!
> =

> I'm especially interested in a conlang that is a rendering
> of PIE, or a close relative thereof!  I'll try to dig out
> some old resources that I found and forward them to you
> (but I'm sure the Lehman book is much better)
> =

> =

> Edward Heil wrote:
> =

> > Has anyone out there tried to construct a new Indo-European language,=
 the
way
> > that Brithenig has been constructed as a new Romance language?
> >
> > I'm reading a great book, _Theoretical Bases of Indo-European
Linguistics_, by
> > Winifred P. Lehman.  (only $25 in paperback!)  It has a wonderful ske=
tch
of
> > the structure of the Proto-Indo-European language, and in the back of=
 my
mind
> > is the idea of using it in a conlang -- either filling in the gaps to=
 make
> > usable conlang out of what we know of PIE, or making up some sound-ch=
ange
> > rules and so on to try to make my own IE lang.
> >
> > Ed

> > Edward Heil .......................... [log in to unmask]

> > Get free e-mail and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com/=
?N=3D1