On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Lars Henrik Mathiesen wrote:

>    Date:         Tue, 27 Apr 1999 06:59:07 +0100
>    From: "Raymond A. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
>
>    hagiasthe:to:        to onoma sou
>    hallow+PASS+3RD-IMP  the name of-you
>
> In Danish, the verbs in these three phrases are put in the present
> subjunctive, and I guess that it's the same in English even though you
> can't really tell.

In these instances you can tell the difference:

        indic.          subj.
hallowed is thy name    hallowed be thy name
thy will is done        thy will be done
thy kingdom comes       thy kingdom come

I'm not entirely certain _why_ the subjunctive is used here (we are taught
that the name _is_ holy, the plan _is_ in effect and the kingdom _is_ at
hand); so I think it's basically up for argument and discussion what sort
of forms these are.  Personally, I've always thought of them along the
lines of a supplicatory "polite command", though not necessarily second
person.

Padraic.