I own several regs some things I look for:

Warrantee and costs down the road?
Are parts included at the annual service?
Ask the shop what an "avg" service cost is, Sometimes its cheaper to pay
more now, and not have the big service bill each year. In oher words try to
figure out costs over say five years. Find out who services the regs at your
shop and ask them which they like.

I only go w/ Class A rated navy regs. I will go deep but it seems to make a
difference with cold water and durability besides just performance.

environment is important , do you need cold water regs ? Will you be in high
current ?

If you opt for nitrox in the future will this manufacturer support that
decision and how will it affect your warrantee.

At least look into a DIN fitting, I prefer them and its $ to change over
later.

Try them out, nothing wrong with renting different brands, let the shop know
you are serious about buying and they should tune em B$ you go out.

There are allot of great regs on the market right now that arent expensive
to run year after year. If you get really into diving you will own several
eventually. Strike is right about dropping the money now you'll save over
the long haul.

FTR I use Zeagles O2 clean and for regular use, I also use a USD for normal
use. These both have low Maint costs but cost more initially. I have my
serious deep cold regs and a set use for travel. I like the others mentioned
but cant afford the cost of poseidons service and dont have a scuba pro
service close. I hear very good things about the top line Mares regs. Any
one out ther using them?