"Reef Fish (Large Nassau Grouper)" wrote:

> At 01:50 PM 4/23/99 -0400, Mark Bevelhimer wrote:
>
> >Thought I'd unlurk to contribute to this thread and give the Feeesh's tale
> >a tug.  I vaguely remember L.B. in "Sea Hunt", and although exposure to
> >Cousteau probably influenced my decision to become a fisheries biologist,
> >he probably wasn't the reason I began diving.

*snip*
> >I think it was probably
> >Jacqueline Bissett in the movie "The Deep" that really gave me the
> >incentive to get certified!
>
> I remember that.  Why do you think I went back to those sites in the
> Bahamas to dive deep?   I figure I either find her or Agent 007 in one
> of those wrecks there.   I found the James Bond wreck, the Never Say
> Never wreck, and a few other sunken planes ... but no Jacqueline.  ;)

That's because Jacqueline is on the wreck of the Royal Mail Steamer
Rhone off Salt Island in the BVI where they filmed the movie The Deep.
The Rhone is one of the most beautiful wrecks in the world.  She sank
during a hurricane in the latter part of the 1867 and is now as much
reef as she is wreck.  When her boilers blew she broke in two with her
bow coming to rest in about 80' and the stern section in about 50'.  The
Rhone is sill pretty much intact and penetration is safe and easy.

Mark, although I thoroughly enjoyed the movie The Deep and seeing
Jacqueline diving in her T-shirt IS inspiring, <bg> a dive on the RMS
Rhone is truly awesome.  It is a riot of encrusted multicolored soft and
hard corals.  I hope you can find your way to the BVI to dive the Rhone
sometime and see first hand where the "ferocious giant moray" attacked.
:-O

We'll be going back there again for two weeks at the end of July, right
after the Coz99NEDfest.

Best regards,
Russ