--- David Strike <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> At 09:37 PM 22/04/99 EDT, Jerry Lapierre wrote:
> >Need advice on purchasing a regulator...<snip>
>
> The nice thing about regulators is that the majority
> of folk who own one (or
> more!), have unshakeable opinions as to which is the
> 'best'!  :-)

No argument here.

<snip>
> Probably the two most important considerations - IMO
> - are:-
> 1) That for the sort of diving you intend to do -
> and the depths that you
> intend to do it at - you won't 'outbreathe' the
> regulator!<snip>

Couldn't agree more.

> 2) That it won't cause jaw fatigue.

Never had that problem.  My jaw gets lots of exercise.

<snip>

> Possibly the best answer, however, is to have a look
> at the regulators that
> the more experienced divers and Instructors in your
> local dive store are
> using.

I use to preach the same, until recently I discovered
that a local chain of dive shops here in the Northwest
only allows its instructors & DMs to wear equipment
that is sold in the shop.  They get a great discount
for buying their gear from the shop.  I personally
know of 2 instructors who use different regs & BCs
when they dive for fun, equipment they swear by, but
aren't sold through the shop they teach at.

> And if possible try a selection in real life
> diving conditions
> (rather than a training pool), to see which appeals
> to you the most.

Few stores in my area offer this great opportunity.

> Another major consideration is the sort of back up
> service that the retailer
> offers.  You might buy the best regulator in the
> world and pay top dollar
> for it, but unless you can have it serviced
> regularly by an approved and
> competent technician it will probably be a worthless
> piece of junk within
> the year!  :-)

Essential Point.  If you buy used, make sure it can
still be serviced (parts still available).

> Another good reason to buy from a local store whose
> reputation you trust!

And if they are local, you can get into someones face
a lot easier than if you mail order.

If you have a local dive club, join up and ask the old
salts what they dive with.  Be prepared for stories
about how in the dark ages they made their own
wetsuits and modified fire extingushers for scuba
cylinders.

Ed