At 04:51 AM 4/20/99 -0700, Travis \\\"Toolman\\\" Iversen wrote:
And I believe Don Ward first stated,

>> > I think who inspired one to scuba has a lot to do with age.
>>
>      I think I was mostly inspired by Cousteau as a youngn', then that
love of the
>ocean and life under sea was really supported by several excellent teachers
I had in
>elementary and junior high school.
>      Lloyd Bridges was really before my time, at least as far as SeaHunt goes,
>although I still would like to see it :)

        _Sea Hunt_ may have put pictures to everyone's imaginings of ocean
diving, but well before Lloyd's narrative style developed my capacity for
bs,  Cousteau's _Silent World_ inspired me to get a Voit mask and fins and a
three foot long snorkel complete with ping-pong ball.

        This wonderful book is a node at which past and present as well as
military, commercial, and recreational diving come together, sort of like an
early textual representation of our Scuba-L living treasure, David Strike.
I don't know if _Silent World_ is still in print, but even if it is
difficult to acquire, it is worth the effort.

        Lloyd Bridges' underwater wrestling with the numerous Russkie spies
off the California coast had powerful appeal for me in my early teen years,
but even in the televised world I think _Sea Hunt_ was trumped by Cousteau's
stunning natural history footage and the French food and Bordeaux wine that
rewarded Falco et al after a day of diving.  I only wish there had been more
women on board, but judging by the problems Cousteau caused himself with
wives and mistresses I can see why they weren't more prominently featured on
the Calypso.

DPTNST,

John