Dear Ron,

At 09:57 AM 4/21/99 -0700, Ron Fuller wrote:

>I got a first edition of Silent World in French for my son as a Christmas
>present this past year.  He is a new diver struggling with first year
>French in high school.

        With such an enlightened father, he may shortly demonstrate
Rimbaud's mastery of French poetry combined with Hugo's fecund hand.
_Silent World_  will do more to make him a francophilic diver of him than
years of painful language study, but to insure his passion for things wet,
French, and delicious, please take him diving in the French Caribbean where
Americans are loved before he sees Paris where....

  It seems this French edition goes into details of
>the killing of whales and other critters to attract sharks for photographs
>and filming.  As well as the hunting practices of the day.

        The American edition is just as gruesome, but we can't expect 90s'
"political correctness" out of 50s' books.  ( I hope Jan isn't following
this thread; these are things she probably doesn't want to know about JYC.)
It's kind of chilling - reading how casually Jacques would harpoon dolphins
and leave them for sharks to eat or harpoon and shoot whales with dum-dum
bullets.

.  Of course if hadn't been such a
>good promoter of himself and the aqualung we all might be honoring the
>Japanese inventer Ohgushi who patented a demand regulator SCUBA system back
>in 1918.

        OTOH, if Cousteau hadn't had a bad experience with rebreathers, we'd
all own Draegers now and open circuit would just be an odd curiosity.   For
my money, Jacques big coup was popularizing open circuit scuba.  Otherwise,
it would have been hard to buy all the equipment and learn how to dive for
under $165.00.

DPTNST,

John