At 09:10 AM 22/04/99 -0400, Reef Fish wrote:

>>I also got to chat with Brett Gilliam about SDI (Scuba Divers International)
>>- a new mainstream training agency that TDI are launching and viewed the
>>entry level teaching materials; a well presented manual with great graphics
>>and an emphasis on teaching the use of dive computers.  (The use of tables
>>is also covered, but the focus is very much on computers.)

>The teaching of some basic elements about dive computers is certainly
>a good idea in today's diving environment in which the use of dive computers
>is nearly as commonplace  as the use of fins.   On any particular dive, I
>dive
>with only one set of my several sets of fins, but on one occasion I dived with
>5 computers (two Uwatec Aladin nitrox <G> over a series of over 20 dives
>on a liveaboard).   It PAYS to know something about computers.  :-)

>On interesting question raised by skeptics about the SDI syllabus is WHICH
>computer do they use in their course -- something they sell (which suggests
>a possible conflict of interest) or dive computers in general?

Given his previous association it came as no little surprise to find that
the manual makes no mention of specific computers.  Indeed!  Gilliam himself
made the point that the agency was not interested in promoting any
particular brand of computer, but that they were rather more concerned with
teaching the concept of using a computer from the moment that a person first
learned to dive.

And now I'm running off back to the show for breakfast and to spread light
and joy into their otherwise dull lives!  :-)

Strike