In message <v0300780ab37470c2635e@[128.148.157.22]>, Elli Mylonas
<[log in to unmask]> writes

>1. We were originally leaning towards DSSSL -> tex. However, recent
>discussions on the DSSSL list make it seem as if that is a dead end.
>Won't be supported long, and output engines probably won't be refined.
>Also, the tex output won't be easily tweakable.

>Any thoughts or suggestions? Those of you with lots of DSSSL expertise;
>do you recommend delving into DSSSL? I've done simple things with DSSSL,
>but we want to process hundreds of texts reliably. Any experience with
>Frame, especially negative?  That's what we're leaning toward right now.

You don't mention DSSSL -> RTF as an option.  That might be a useful
starting-point.  You can get effects (like multi-level nested lists)
which are not possible using Word.

You certainly get a modifiable result, which can presumably be passed on
to DTP software if the print quality isn't good enough for your
requirements.

Does your concern over the size of the project relate to the variability
of the texts concerned?  If so, you will have essentially the same
problem whatever rendering technique you use.  You can write some pretty
powerful and generalized code in DSSSL's flavour of Scheme.

The limitations of the DSSSL route would, I think, be the obvious ones
you will know about already: the lack of support for the full page model
is a particular issue if you have strong views on the placement of
footnotes, etc.  I don't think that scaling would be an issue.

And you do have the style sheet I developed as a starting point!

Richard Light.

Richard Light
SGML/XML and Museum Information Consultancy