I've now logged over 1500 dives (Red Sea, Indonesia, Thailand, Maldives,
yes: Sipadan Island too!) and I can only say, that some of the best
dives I've made were in Thailand.
Last year we visited Hin Daeng and Hin Muang and I can only say, that I
had never seen soft coral gardens that beautiful before. We even saw
mating leopard sharks there, giant rays etc.

Richelieu Rock is a heavenly place (even though it's getting too crowded
now). I believe there are seven different species of anemone fish on
Richelieu Rock, we saw whale sharks, guitar sharks, eagle rays, large
shoals of barracudas, cuttlefish, beautiful nudibranchs. All in one
diving day.

Richelieu and f.i. the Similans are very different, and each place has
got it's own specific inhabitants. We dived the Burma Banks, and saw
lots and lots of different sharks.

After many trips all over the world I still love diving in Thailand.
I.M.H.O. it's one of the most relaxed, most beautiful countries in the
world (O.K., Malaysia and Indonesia are great too!!). Every dive is a
chance of meeting something special or big. I'd go back any time (and I
was very sorry to hear all Millennium cruises are fully booked!). And as
Bjorn states: it's all pretty affordable too.

Georgina

(After reading long discussions between Bjorn and Monk):

> You seem to have dived every site in and around Koh Tao, as well as
most
> sites in the Similans and Surin. I am sorry for you if you had such a
bad
> experience with all these sites, but I suggest that if you seriously
found
> Elephant Head and Richelieu Rock, or Hin Daeng and Breakfast Bend,  to
be
> similar, then you (and apparently most others on your live-aboard)
have a
> LOT of disappointments coming in your continued diving career(s). You
> > > experiences in Koh Tao and the immediately surrounding areas. I
> > know quite
> > > lot of people who have dived with whale sharks in Koh Tao, bull
> > sharks on
> > > Sail Rock, and indeed whales and dolphins, too.

> > just
> > isn't very
> > >
> > > And you were right, from your own perspective. As a blanket
statement
> > (which
> > > is pretty much what you issued), you were as wrong as one can
> > possibly be
> > > :-)

> > > Apart from the fact that this is simply not so, you appear to be
saying
> > that
> > > a lot of good diving makes for bad diving...? ;-)
> > >
> > > "Good diving" is so subjective. For a visibility-starved British
diver,
> > used
> > > to 30 centimeter viz in 5 degreee C water, the Similans is
> > pretty awesome,
> > > and pretty cheap.
> > >
> > > I'll finish by conceding that there are a lot of places in Asia
Pacific