At 12:10 PM 5/2/99 -0600, Don Ward wrote:
>Great trip report Shep!  I just now got around to reading it.

Tank You :)

>I was pleasantly surprised to see your depths at Chuuk.  I was under the
>impression that the wreck dives were typically 150fsw+.

There are so many wreck dives in that Lagoon that you could spend many
months there diving different wrecks each day ... There are MANY that can
be done (as we did) on al80's and shallow depth (relatively anyway). Some
of the deeper wrecks are possible this way as well but you know the
limitations (time for one) .... some of our group did the Nippo Maru for
instance but your time limits for no decompresssion diving are pretty
ridiculous in my opinion. I do want to go back sometime bringing some extra
equipment, and deco-dive the area some more ... but for what we were doing
there, with the people that we had along, deco would have never worked
(2/3'rds of our group would not have not choosen to do that ) BTW the top
of my list to go back to would be the San Francisco Maru which sits at 150
feet and beyond.

>If you had it to do again would you do a live aboard in Chuuk?

I'm not real sure of the benifits of a live aboard here ... Nitrox would
make a difference, but we saw the Aggressor and the Thorfin everyday and
they didn't move much. Mainly 'cause they didn't need to, the wrecks are
plentiful and clustered semi-close together in many places. So, because I
could be at the side of either of these boats in under 10 minutes from the
Blue Lagoon Hotel, (most of the time) together with deeper dives requiring
less frequency (there's no chamber here, except hours away in Guam) and I
think you'd have more fun at the Blue Lagoon. It has to be said that I
don't like being cut off and isolated from the locals (this place was bad
enough in that regard for our own safty) I like to learn and meet as many
as possible on these trips, so I personally would not do the live aboards
here. Unless they were to add some features that made deco diving more
available.
                We did meet a number of the guests that were on the Aggressor and the
Thorfin and they all raved about having great times .... so, different
strokes, right ?

>At 09:26 AM 4/28/99 -0700, Shep Griswold wrote in part:
>>...Sam's Diving. He's been running
>>this business for over 8 years now. We did not use Splash which is at the
>>hotel PPR....the few times that I saw it actually go out, I don't think
>>that they can come close to the speeds that Sam's smaller faster boats can
>>go. Since the dive spots are far away this is a very important feature to
>>take into consideration.
>
>There was in this forum a recent discussion on the topic of lenght of dive
>day from PPR.  Could you tell us what time you boat left each day and
>typically returned and how many dives you did during that time?

Sam's usually picks up at 8:30 (I think) I'm not that clear because we
moved the time around a whole bunch. If you are headed to Peleliu, which is
farther away, you should leave earlier. We left around 7:45 on those days
that we wanted to get an earlier start. The day after the wedding, we left
at 10:00 for obvious reasons :)
To me, anytime on a boat is a good time, so the rides didn't bother me at
all. The scenery is so great ! and with a driver like the one we had
,Poker, we were constantly weaving through beautiful rock islands.
Sometimes that was to avoid windy or rainy conditions.

>>One last note ... the reefs at Blue corner have been mauled to death.
>>Between bleaching and Japanese laying all over the coral there is little
>>left alive at the corner itself.
>
>I have always wondered about the condition of Blue Corner given what I have
>read on the net.  Do you think the hooks play a role in the condition of
>the reef?

The reef hooks, if used properly, should AVOID damageing the reef. What you
do is look for some rock or dead coral and hook on, pting air in your BC to
keep you above the reef. Between the air in your BC and the current (which
can rip) you float and fly way over the coral below. It's not perfect,
especially if care is not used when hooking up, but it works well otherwise.

Thanks for the comments and I hope this gives you a little more info ...
it's all IMHO
 ____
(_/\_)Shep Griswold
==@   Kirkland,Wa,USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]

 Everyone has a right to be stupid.  Some just abuse the privilege.