Je 08:00 atm 5/18/99 +0200, Kjell REHNSTRO"M:

>In esperanto le infixo -on- servi pro crear fractiones: un tertie parte es
>unu _triono_ in Esp.

Minor correction (to a long-time bugaboo of mine): Actually (and the
Esperanto textbooks -- in English -- make the same mistake in terminology),
-ON- is _not_ used to create fractions in general, but only to create a
particular type of fraction, the _reciprocal_. I.e., _sepono_ = 1/7. More
general fractions are created (as in English, and, one assumes, Interlingua
and Occidental) by counting reciprocals (tri seponoj = 3/7, ses seponoj = 6/7).

>Compara del resto:
>patre - patron (grande, potente patre, chef)
>matrona = un grande mama, proprietaria etc.
>
>Il ha nulle impedimento que on usa _-on-_ in occidental e interlingua como
>un augmentativo si on lo vole.

If this is the case, then Interlingua and Occidental become a bit more
autonomous (good) and a bit less comprehensible to English speakers (not
necessarily bad), since the English "patron" and "matron" do _not_ refer to
augmentations of "father" and "mother", either in size or behavior, but
simply to a different mode of behavior (in the one case) and a different
level of respect awarded (in the other).

-- Don HARLOW
http://www.webcom.com/~donh/