Mike Farris wrote:
>This does indicate just how two different native speakers of the "same"
>language (even the "same" dialect - Standard American) understand words and
>how different idiolects can be.
>
>This is also an example of how most approaches to IAL's can break down in
>practice. Etymologies are fine for working backwards, they don't project in=
>the future very well though.
>
>This doesn't mean that "international words" don't have a place in an IAL (=
far
>from it) it _does_ mean that their presence alone can guarantee any kind of
>automatic understanding. One of the mottos of any IALer (regardless of pet
>language) should be "communication is negotiation"

But the more different your common background the more negotiation there
will be. According to my experience it does not matter so much whether this
is English or Interlingua. If one is a native speaker of English and the
other is not, "the other" has to believe the native speaker. And if you
think that you are right you will have to have d... good proof.

Kjell Rehnstr=F6m
V=E4nortsgatan 87
752 64  UPPSALA
Tel. 018-50 22 35