> Je 08:10 ptm 5/31/99 +0200, Kjell skribis:
>
> >I think I have heard Megastar, but I don't remember if that was in its
> >English form or if it was Swedish _megastj=E4rna_! But the _kunteksto_ told
> >me it was about a person.
> >
> Oh, certainly. Think it might refer to the amount they're paid per movie
> appearance? (Arnie, Sly, and now Leo -- not to mention some others -- now
> fall well into the megastar category, if this is the case...).

More likely, it's a substitute for "superstar", which has lost most
of its impact due to rhetorical inflation. That's probably the
general mechanism behind the rise of mega-, and explains why it
seems strongest in the pop-music and porno milieus, which are
addicted to rhetorical excess.

"Superstar" was popularised by Andy Warhol in the late 1960s, right?
And I suppose it had a certain frisson of daring in "Jesus Christ
Superstar", the 1972 rock opera. But it's long since dead. "Mega-
star", by contrast, is a pretty weak piece of overkill.

Cheers,

Chris