Kjell, you have fallen prey to the Farris Effect -- your Reply-To field in
this message contained your personal e-mail address rather than that of
Auxlang...

Je 09:22 ptm 5/27/99 +0200, Kjell REHNSTROM skribis:
>Robert J. Petry, C.L. wrote:
>>
>Most of text read before although very interesting, snipped/

Checking out this posting of Bob's, I intended to reply to it line by line,
but life's just not long enough. I guess I have to let everybody decide for
themselves on the question of which is more important:

(a) Formal, etymological similarity even when there's a significant
divergence in meaning (Occidental); or

(b) Enforced formal similarity, not etymologically supported but
corresponding fairly closely to similarities in meaning (Esperanto).

>> _general/issim/o, and one forms
>> ver/issim,
>> grand/issim,
>> seren/issim,
>> bell/issim,
>> car/issim,
>> etc. certainly more natural than
>>
>> ver/ega,
>> grand/ega,
>> bel/ega, etc.

Unfortunately, in my use of English "issim" corresponds in no way to the
Esperanto -EG-, and any time I see "issimo" I think not "augmented" but
"puffed up", as in the Marshalissimo of Bobovia in Bretnor's "The Gnurrs
Come From the Voodvork Oudt" (an Esperanto translation is available
on-line), or Generalissimo Franco's chestful of medals, or the Hoka use of
"Illustrissimo", e.g. "I have locked the importunate damsel away to await
your pleasure, Illustrissimo" in "Don Jones" (Poul Anderson and Gordon R.
Dickson, _Earthman's Burden_). Frankly, -EG- seems to me far more natural
for its meaning than -ISSIM-.

>Communicando may use:
>megaveri = extremely true, mega true
>megagrande = mega big
>megabelle = a mega beauty
>
>Ego pensa que classic latin es megamali como internationali lingua
>(as we might express the thing in Communicando, worked out by a man who wasn't
>even a professional language constructor, just a teacher and translater.
>
>An of course we would say _mini_ for very little: To e un miniproblema. Li
>verbies in occidental e un miniproblema.
>The verbs in occidental constitute a very trivial problem.

_mini_ is reasonable, but, as I understand, while "mega" meant "big" in
ancient Greek, and was used for this purpose in at least palaeontology as
late as the last century ("megathere"), today it's primarily recognized as
a specific prefix for "one million" (megatons, megabucks, megajoules, etc.).

May I recommend the prefix "da-", which is probably the most natural
augmentative in the world today, being used as it is by more than a fifth
of the world's population?

-- Don HARLOW
http://www.webcom.com/~donh/