Michael Doelle wrote:

> Jean-Marc wrote:
>
> >I notice a big blank in the suggestions for places to dive. No
> one wants to dive in the Philippines? Boracay?<
>
> Sure, I would love to dive the Phils again. Not necessarily Boracay,
> though. Bohol, Puerto Galera, Palawan, Tubataha ... so many islands and
> reefs. So much dynamite too.

Haven't tried al those nice places :-(. Apart from
Boracay and Cebu/Mactan, I only did a day trip to
cabilao (close to Bohol). Was actually quite nice.
Mactan is very nice for families and offers some
decent diving (nothing special though)

> The problem with the really good destinations in SE-Asia (the ones that I
> know,  at least) is that they aren't generally all that "family-friendly".
> Strike suggested Manado, which I really liked in 94. Excellent reefs, few
> big fish, though, saw only one shark all week. And not much to do in Manado
> for non-divers, unless they like jungle walks, and even that's a long
> drive. There isn't even a beach, only mangroves. I would only go, if a trip
> to Sangihe was on the plan.

Desperatly tried to find a decent beach in the
Manado area and I'm still looking for one. :-)

But you are right. In this part of the world,
excellent diving almost never goes with family/non
divers. :-(

Of all the places mentioned until now, those which
are somewhat an option to bring non-divers too are
:

Kota-kinabalu
Phuket
Boracay
Sipadan (non divers must be at least avid
snorkelers :-)

Kota and Sipadan are easy to combine and might as
such offer some diversity (although from what I
heard, No one can really get bored in Sipadan no
matter how many dives you do there).

Jean-Marc