Although the sea conditions were calm and the sun was shining brightly, the
underwater visibility was down to about 4 - 5-metres, during yesterday's
dive at Shelly Beach.

Fourteen people turned up for the dive, so we moved around in smaller
individual groups, only rarely meeting up.

Apart from the ball of juvenile catfish that seem to have been in the same
spot for the past two or three weeks, the only outstanding feature in terms
of the regular marine life that we usually see, were the numbers of giant
cuttlefish.

Early on in the dive and out of the corner of one eye, I suddenly noticed a
flurry of activity.  A large eastern blue grouper was venting what looked
like clouds of black smoke out of its mouth!  I looked closer and saw a
still wriggling tentacle poking out of one side of the mouth and realised
that the 'black smoke' was a cloud of ink!  The last desperate attempt of
either a smaller cuttlefish, octopus or squid, to avoid being eaten for
breakfast!

It's like seeing your pet dog eat the family cat!  :-)

Strike