Bjoern wrote:

>Was that the guy whose "dive shop" consisted of a moped with a sidecar t=
hold tanks and gear ? :-)

Yup, that's the one. He did also have an office, though. Going by the nam=
of his shop, I always assumed he was Belgian. He's still there, but works=

for some other outfit now. Or maybe he bought a "bar" like so many other
farangs. The guy who runs the Dive Cafe had the same setup. Since he didn=
't
have a boat, he also used to do the beach/moped thing. =

>Hin Daeng at its most beautiful is a wonderful dive site, but it is
inconsistent, and I've seen viz drop to 2 meters there, with bugger all t=
see.<

True. Saw my first whale shark on Hin Daeng trip number 4. And only once
was the weather good enough to anchor there all night. Normally we had to=

March. Tough luck, lousy viz, no whale sharks. You just can't judge any
location by going only once. The "should have been here last week effect"=

will get you every time. Garanteed.

> I still think a 4-day live-aboard to Burma (including the Banks) beats
anything Thailand has to offer, and that's saying something :-)<

That's fine for the "locals". But I am now a lot farther away from Thaila=
nd
than I was when I lived in Munich. I could fly East or West, wouldn't mak=
a difference. I will definitely not do that to do a 4 day dive trip. Ther=
are a good number of those within an hour or less  of here (South Florida=
).
Maybe not as good as SE-Asia, but i'd still like to do them while I'm in
the area. So if anyone wants to propose a mini NED Fest in the Bahamas, D=
ry
Tortugas, Flower Gardens and the like, I'm in. If it is Asia, then it
better be in the "fantastic" category. Otherwise it can wait until I move=

back to Europe.

mika